Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Worst Fantasy Football Draft Pick Ever Made ...


Last night during my fantasy football league draft I was witness to what might likely be the worst fantasy football draft pick ever made.

The first selection in the draft was a major surprise when new Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was taken first overall. I think this is a bad selection, but it’s definitely a high-risk-high-reward pick that will probably work out well for the player.

The second selection in the draft was Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who will likely be the first quarterback taken in many fantasy football drafts this season and is a great selection.

Then came the third pick, which was taken by one of the league’s players in the blink of an eye without a second guess, and it was so dumbfounding and idiotic that I almost missed my own first round selection out of sheer shock at what I had just witnessed. This league member drafted Kansas City Chiefs running back Peyton Hillis, a player that likely should’ve gone undrafted in our relatively small league, third overall above any other running back. I mean, come on, Peyton Hillis is probably not even dumb enough to draft Peyton Hillis third overall in his own fantasy football league.

Now I’ve talked many times before in my life, even a time or two on this very podcast, about the stupidity and idiocy of sports fans and this fantasy football pick is just another example of it. I’ve heard and seen sports homers time after time, but taking Peyton Hillis, who is likely the Chiefs second string back behind Jamaal Charles, third overall just because he’s a fan-favorite of Arkansas Razorbacks fans pretty much takes the cake.

I know that Hillis had a breakout season with the Cleveland Browns a couple of seasons ago and looked like he could be a budding star in the NFL, but his atrocious season last year made it seem like he was more of a fluke than a potential star. Let me point out that even if this was the same Hillis of two seasons ago that drafting him third overall would still be a terrible mistake. It’s the case of a fan acting with his heart and not his head and it frankly makes me love the fact that there’s a person this unbelievably dumb in my fantasy football league. It should make it all the more easy for me and others to defeat him and potentially win the league.  

No comments:

Post a Comment