Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why I Don't Like Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue ...


On newsstands now is the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue with the absolutely gorgeous Kate Upton on the cover. Even though looking at Upton in a small bikini is enough to make any straight man happy I’m still not a fan of the SI swimsuit issue. In fact, I’ve long said that I’m probably the only guy in the world who hates Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue.

Why? The answer is actually quite simple.

I lose respect for a journalism publication that covers sports all year around, but for one week completely drops sports altogether to show scantily clad women. It doesn’t seem very ethical to me. In fact, it’s simply a ploy to sell as many issues as they can. I get that Sports Illustrated is a business and they are in business to sell as many issues of their magazine as they possibly can (and the swimsuit issue is their biggest selling issue of the year), but the swimsuit issue seems to go against everything that Sports Illustrated should be about, i.e. sports.

It would almost be like Playboy having one issue every year dedicated to sports instead of naked women. It just doesn’t seem right. 

There is no way that Sports Illustrated is ever going to drop the swimsuit issue and every year I’ll have to explain once again why I hate the swimsuit issue. Keep this in mind. Kate Upton is on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Ed Reed has never made the cover. Novak Djokovic has never made the cover. Manny Pacquiao has never made the cover. And the list goes on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment