Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Why I Was Rooting for Japan on Sunday...


I was probably one of the few Americans who was sincerely rooting for the Japanese women’s soccer team to upset the U.S. women’s national team in the championship match of the women’s World Cup on Sunday. Why? Because I knew that a win for Japan would mean more for that nation than it ever possibly could for the U.S. Japan has had such a truly devastating and horrifying year with the tragedy of the earthquake, tsunami and fear of radiation from damaged nuclear reactors earlier this year that killed thousands and effected almost everybody in that country in some way. I knew that a Japanese win would help to put a smile on the faces of many in that country and would go a long way in helping the Japanese people in the healing process. I know that some people who were following along with my tweets on Twitter and my statuses on Facebook on Sunday afternoon were bothered or maybe even slightly offended by my obvious rooting for the Japanese team. To those people I have to say that sporting events aren’t about patriotism. Just because I’m an American and an American team was playing doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to root for the American team. I chose to side with the Japanese team on Sunday because I’m a caring American who understands that sports can have a positive effect on people when they’re at their weakest. The Japanese team’s win on Sunday put a smile on my face not because I wanted them to win, not because I’m some sort of anti-American, but because I know it put smiles on a lot of grieving people’s faces. That’s what’s most important anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment